Monday, October 4, 2010

I misted the Isted

Last week saw the final games played in the Robert Isted club tournament.  The cards had fallen with me (6) requiring one win to secure equal first with Vincent (7) and Reg (7).   David played Andrew and won without consequence on the final standings.  My final game was against Vincent where he casually asked if I had been doing some preparation against him (ie his usual response to d4).  The game went 1. d4 f5 and very Dutch - by move 5 we were in a weird position with my h4 looking to be a good aggressive move.  Unfortunately this plan petered out and after some wriggling he managed to move into an endgame.  Vincent offered a draw which I politely declined (even though worse now), desperately fighting for a win which didn't even raise it's head for a chance.
Final results
Vincent 1st, Reg 2nd, Russell 3rd.

Next week we start the Allegro - 15 minute games over 4-5 weeks.
Sure to be fun especially for new players and juniors.  No recording.

Be sure to play in the Burnie Shines weekender - what better than a weekend of chess 23 and 24 October.

No comments: